Thirteen-month-old Imad Aleeyan, who has six teeth, was found by his mother chewing on a snake.
"I started to scream. I couldn't believe my eyes," she told AFP. "I nearly died of fright."
A neighbor who had rushed to see what all the screaming was about, pulled the half dead snake from the toddlers mouth and the family rushed him to the hospital. The doctor said, "Doctors at the hospital told us the snake was really poisonous but that we were very lucky because they release less venom in the winter."
"It probably didn't bite the child because of the cold," said Dr Shacham who is the head of the herpetology collection at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
"They are not really active in winter."