Saturday, January 22, 2011

More Roundabouts To Come To Michigan


Michigan plans on building more roundabouts, saying they have fewer accidents than a typical intersection. I'm not too sure about that. I haven't encountered one yet, but they look pretty damn confusing to me and they don't look like they could help reduce the number of accidents in Michigan at intersections and the number of dangerous accidents. They claim the circle forces drivers to reduce their speed. But, it looks like there may be more fender benders with drivers entering the roundabout or drivers trying to change lanes in the roundabout, because they got in the wrong lane. To me it looks like your driving on a maze and could easily get off on the wrong road or get stuck driving in the inner lane going in circles if their happens to be a lot of traffic and you can't get in the correct lane.  They say the trick is to get into the correct lane entering the circle. So, if you will be turning left, you get in the left lane and if you will be turning right, get in the right lane. Who knows? I guess we will see as more roundabouts are built in the area.

4 comments:

  1. I experienced my first roundabout in Massachusetts: almost got into an accident.
    Experienced my second one in New Jersey: almost got into an accident.
    There's one near my house: afraid to use it because I don't want to almost get into an accident.
    Maybe it's me. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister lives on the east side and there is one on Van Dyke in Sterling Heights. The first time I saw it, I freaked. It is true you do need to enter the correct lane. I also see no reason why you would need to be in the center (innermost) lane unless you just want to drive continuously in a circle. I do see a lot of near misses from people driving around in a circle and those entering the roundabout.

    I don't want to ever see one of these in Novi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow Michigander, I'd have to agree!! Thanks for following my blog "Its All Random". FOllowing back!

    ReplyDelete

Amazon Reviews